- noun1. large electrical home appliances (refrigerators or washing machines etc.) that are typically finished in white enamel• Hyponyms:↑clothes dryer, ↑clothes drier, ↑dishwasher, ↑dish washer, ↑dishwashing machine, ↑electric range, ↑refrigerator, ↑icebox, ↑washer, ↑automatic washer, ↑washing machine2. drygoods for household use that are typically made of white cloth• Syn: ↑household linen
* * *noun plural1.a. : white fabrics especially of cotton or linenb. : articles (as sheets, towels, tablecloths, or curtains) originally or typically made of white cloth2. : major household and especially electric appliances (as washers, stoves, or refrigerators) that are typically finished in white enamel
* * *1. household goods, as bed sheets, tablecloths, and towels, formerly bleached and finished in white but now often patterned and colored.2. bleached goods, esp. cotton or linen fabrics.3. large household appliances, as refrigerators, stoves, and washing machines.4. alcoholic liquors that are manufactured without color, as vodka, gin, and tequila.[1870-75]
* * *white goods plural noun1. Refrigerators, washing machines, dish-washers, freezers and similar appliances, usu painted with white enamel2. Household linen• • •Main Entry: ↑white
* * *large pieces of electrical equipment used in people’s homes, for example washing machines and fridgesThesaurus: general words for machines and equipment used in the homehyponym
* * *white goods,1. white household linens, such as sheets, pillowcases, towels, napkins, and tablecloths.2. heavy household appliances such as stoves, refrigerators, and washing machines, often coated with white enamel.
* * *plural n.1) large electrical goods used domestically such as refrigerators and washing machines, typically white in color. Compare with brown goods2) archaic domestic linen
* * *noun [plural]chiefly Brit : large pieces of household equipment (such as refrigerators and washing machines)
* * *large pieces of electrical equipment in the house, such as ↑washing machines, etc.
Useful english dictionary. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
white goods — ➔ goods * * * white goods UK US noun [plural] COMMERCE ► large electrical goods for homes, for example, cookers and washing machines: »Sales of white goods, have started to slow. → Compare BROWN GOODS(Cf. ↑brown good … Financial and business terms
white goods — white′ goods n. pl. 1) household goods, as bed sheets and towels, formerly white but now often colored 2) bleached goods, esp. cotton or linen fabrics 3) large household appliances, as refrigerators, that are often finished in white • Etymology:… … From formal English to slang
white goods — n [plural] BrE equipment used in the home, for example washing machines and ↑refrigerators →↑brown goods … Dictionary of contemporary English
white goods — white ,goods noun plural BUSINESS large pieces of electrical equipment used in people s homes, for example washing machines and refrigerators … Usage of the words and phrases in modern English
white goods — ☆ white goods n. [from their typical color] 1. household linens, as sheets, pillowcases, towels, etc. 2. large household appliances, as refrigerators, stoves, etc … English World dictionary
white goods — noun domestic appliances that are mostly electric in composition At one time major appliances (white goods), washer, dryer, and refrigerator stores would last more than 20 years. See Also: brown goods … Wiktionary
white goods — N PLURAL People in business sometimes refer to fridges, washing machines, and other large pieces of electrical household equipment as white goods … English dictionary
white goods — Synonyms and related words: appliances, brassware, chinaware, clayware, copperware, dinnerware, dry goods, durable goods, durables, earthenware, enamelware, fixtures, flatware, glassware, graniteware, hard goods, hardware, hollow ware,… … Moby Thesaurus
white goods — 1. household goods, as bed sheets, tablecloths, and towels, formerly bleached and finished in white but now often patterned and colored. 2. bleached goods, esp. cotton or linen fabrics. 3. large household appliances, as refrigerators, stoves, and … Universalium
white goods — A class of consumer durables that includes washing machines, dishwashers, refrigerators, tumble dryers, deep freezers, and cookers; they are so named because they are usually finished in white enamel paint, although browns and other colours are… … Big dictionary of business and management